Saturday, April 11, 2009

Doan Van Dieu

Doan Van Dieu visited us from the Ho Chi Minh University of Pedagogy.  I must admit that it was hard to pay attention to his presentation.  However some of the things he discussed were a little interesting.

He introduced the topic of parents' roles in their children's marriage.  This is not a theme that is emphasized much today as it has in the past.  I would strongly disagree if my parents were to introduce me to a stranger and then tell me that I would be marrying that person, but their opinion of the person I decide to spend the rest of my life with is important to me.  
My mother is a teacher and education is important to her.  Her and my father both agree that education is an important aspect of my life.  If not, I doubt they would be helping me attend Luther College.  From a very young age I knew the standards of my parents and what they would have liked me to achieve, and that is what I did.  I worked hard to earn good grades in school and was involved in many different activities.  For me, it was not an option to not do well.

Sadly, for some parents today education is not important.  There are parents out there who don't care if their children pass their classes or even show up to school!  I think that we could learn a lot from other cultures.  I think it would be amazing to teach in a country that students attend school because they want to learn.  As I am on my journey of becoming a teacher I have my questions and concerns.  I'd much rather be in a classroom where students are attentive instead of one where students are distracted and don't really care at all about what I am trying to teach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment