Thursday, February 19, 2009

Paper Clips



I thought the movie "Paper Clips" was very touching and emotional. However, not until the last five or ten minutes did I find out that students actually learned something from the project.

It was nice to see the journey that the students and teachers went through. It certainly was exciting. I think it would be pretty neat to get a letter from the dad in Happy Days. I am definitely jealous of their experience with the Holocaust survivors. I think that that was one of the most emotional parts of the film, when it showed the survivors telling their personal stories.

As far as relating the film to educational psychology...
I do not think that the teachers were very knowledgeable in the subject prior to the start of the project. I do, however, think that they did a good job of motivating and working effectively with the students. I think that the teachers took a constructivist approach in their teaching because the students did a lot of research on their own. I also think that of all the ecucational philosophers, Dewey would do a project like this. I also think that when the teachers started this project they didn't really know where it was going to go. I don't think there was any long-term planning, or any short-term planning. I think there was really really short-term planning.

I think, though, that it was a good thing what these students and teachers did. They started out trying to learn about diversity, and the learned that plus much more. They touched the lives of many people. That was not the aim of the project once it started, but that is what happened.
I like that their memorial is used for other schools to come and have the students teach them about what they learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment