Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Chalk" Part I

I absolutely loved "Chalk".  It is probably my new favorite movie.  I love The Office and to have a teacher version that was almost as equally awkward and hilarious made my day.

One thing I learned from "Chalk" was that you need to have good classroom management.  If you don't have control over the classroom, the kids aren't going to be learning anything because they won't let you teach them.  They will be too busy running around the room, getting into fights, or talking on their cell phones.

The worse thing I saw in the film was the teacher who only cared about winning Teacher of the Year.  He actually told his students to not outshine him in front of the class, because he doesn't know that much about history.  I think that teachers should probably know a little about what they are talking about, and at least know more than the students do!  When he spoke with the woman who won the year before she said "the focus needs to be on the students, and not on the prize".  I think that is good advice for all teachers.  And really, isn't the prize to teaching the plain and simple fact that students are learning?

I really enjoyed the gym teacher.  She seamed like the best teacher to me.  I would have loved to have her a gym teacher.  I really enjoyed it when she was trying to explain that you need to believe in the children.  I think she said something along the lines of "the students are what they think you think they are", it is less confusing to just say "if you believe in the students, the students will believe in themselves".  The students do better and think that they can do better if someone else believes in them.  It relates to that wonderful little boy speaking to that group of teachers.

And lastly, again I hear it that teaching will exhaust you and you won't have time for a personal life.  Can't wait for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment