Monday, March 2, 2009

Are One-to-One Laptop Programs Worth the Investment?


The article "Are One-to-One Laptop Programs Worth the Investment?" did not persuade my opinion on third graders having personal laptops.  I personally believe that it is unnecessary to have one-to-one computers in the classroom.  I understand that it may be helpful for a more hands-on approach to learning, but I also believe that it causes more harm then good. 

Technology is rapidly growing and I understand that today's children will be living in a highly technological world (even more so than we are living in right now), but I don't think schools need to teach them how to use a computer.  My first computer class was in the 6th grade, and I knew how to use a computer better than my parents even before I took the class!  Kids today know how to use technology, I have no idea how, but they do.  I don't think their parents need to buy them a laptop to take to school, unless they are going to college.

Schools don't need to spend money on buying laptops when that money could be better spent on other things.  Art and music classes are not being provided in some areas because of financial reasons.  Do we want our children to know how to blog or play a game on the internet?  Or do we want them to appreciate a painting, or struggle through music theory?  We should want our children to be well-rounded.  As a younger student I loved music and art class.  I would probably love goofing around on computers during class too.  It is easy to say "No playing games on the computer during class."  However, that rule can not be enforced every single second of the class period.  How would the teacher even know?

Lastly, who is going to trust a third grader with a laptop? Those things are expensive!  My hard drive just crashed and I did not enjoy spending the money to buy a new one and have someone replace it.  If each child had their own personal laptop, I can just imagine how many "accidental" things could happen to it.  The students can understand that a laptop is expensive and they should be careful.  But accidents do happen.  A lot.  Especially with the younger ages.

2 comments:

  1. You have some really good points. I agree that money would be better off spent on PE and art programs instead of lap-tops. Having personal lap-tops will not instill healthy habits into kids' lives like PE can. I think kids at that age need to find other things to do besides stay inside with their computers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they might get nature deficit disorder!

    ReplyDelete